Memorial Day Weekend Chores
Jim Zanetti, aka "Dr. Z" is one of our garden experts. He has created a short list of garden chores for this weekend:
- Revitalize the soil in your garden beds by top dressing withcompost. Compost should also be applied in the holes you dig for new plants. Use our 100% organic Quoddy Compost. After planting, top dress the beds with a fresh layer of mulch.
- Plant herbs and vegetables! We love to kick-off the summer by planting tomatoes and basil, and start dreaming about summer salads and pesto. We have a huge selection of USDA certified 100% organic vegetables and herbs arriving daily. Stop in to see our traditional favorites and many unusual varieties.
- No time or no space for garden beds? Plant in a raised bed planter! Perfect for a patio or deck, or anywhere in your yard.
- Fertilize any evergreens that have suffered winter burn damage with Hollytone.
- If you have not already fed the lawn this spring, do so now with an organic fertilizer such as Ringer's Lawn Restore.
- Early flowering deciduous shrubs (like forsythia) can be pruned back when they have finished blooming.
- Update your landscape, patios, walkways and decks with new container gardens! We'll help you choose the perfect plants and a pot to accent your style and plant it for you. We can even deliver it and place it in the perfect spot in your yard!
Raymond Evison Garden Talk!
Clematis is the "Queen of the Vines" and we are thrilled to announce that the undisputed "King of Clematis," Raymond Evison, will be visiting McArdle's and you are invited to our Garden Party Brunch to celebrate.
Enjoy a delicious light brunch by Watson's Catering while learning all about clematis and other garden gems. We know you will be inspired, so we take time to enjoy a private shopping experience and 20% off all clematis purchases.
Raymond Evison is considered the world's expert on clematis. A recipient of the extremely prestigious RHS Victoria Medal of Honor AND the Officer of the Order of the British Empire by Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II, he has won 24 Chelsea Flower Show Gold medals, 6 William Memorial Medals and 2 Lawrence Medals. He was also awarded the RHS The Reginald Cory Memorial Cup for developing new cultivars, and the Exporter of the Year Award at the Nurseryman & Garden Centre Awards.
Raymond, and his company Raymond J. Evison Ltd, have introduced many new clematis into cultivation for the world gardening market. This extends beyond 100 species and cultivars and includes over 70 cultivars bred and developed especially by his joint venture with Poulsen Roser A/S.
He has authored five books on the subject, as well as scores of newspaper and magazine articles.
Throughout his career, he has founded and participated in numerous horticultural societies, including the International Clematis Society, which he founded. He has staged exhibits and judged at leading flower shows in Canada and the US. Raymond considers it a great privilege to have been able to serve so many communities and to chair so many organizations. His knowledge of the wide field of horticulture from propagation, production, breeding, the wholesale and retail sectors of the industry and gardening in general has made him a sought-after expert worldwide. We couldn't be more pleased to have him with us on June 8th!
Please register now to join us for this wonderful opportunity to meet Raymond Evison. A perfect morning to share with friends!
McArdle's At Home
If your garden chores are overwhelming, or you just need a little help, our McArdle's At Home service takes the chore out of gardening. From planning a brand new
garden or entire yard transformation to sourcing just the right plant for that one spot in your garden, our At Home team will do what it takes to bring you a beautiful spring --- and summer! Call Ed (203-661-5600) or click here for more information on At Home.