These days, it’s hard to peel kids away from endless tech activities available and get them in tune with nature. One successful way our team has achieved it has been through gardening. Gardening is a wonderful way to get kids involved with nature and to teach them about organic eating and sustainable living! Gardening together also provides wonderful opportunities to learn valuable life lessons - patience, perseverance, teamwork, planning).
At McArdle’s we offer workshops designed to teach family members of all ages to enjoy gardening and here we’re sharing a few of our favorite ways to get your kids involved in the family garden at an early age:
- Make it Special “Mommy, Daddy & Me Time” – leave your phones inside and bring the little ones to the garden for some one-on-one time. Teach by example that these are moments that you work together to plant, tend and harvest veggies and plants that will be enjoyed as a family
- Story Time – reading books about gardening, plants and flowers will inspire children and get them excited about planting their own garden. One of our favorites is Lois Ehlert’s Planting a Rainbow
- Get the Gear – bring your children shopping with you to pick out their very own garden box, complete with gloves and a shovel. Carve out a little space for their box in the garage and make them feel like a valued member of the team
- Garden Space – speak to one of our experts about how to create a garden that is organized with spaces based on gardening level or one that has assigned spaces for each family member. Teach your children about their space and help them tend to it on a regular basis.
- Create a Picture Book – work with your children on a scrapbook that measures progress, show them photos online about how their specific veggies and plants will grow and even add important harvesting dates to your family calendar
- Let their Work Shine – create a fun family event around harvesting and/or eating the crop! Children love to share their work and what better reward then to harvest and cook the crop together before sharing it with family and friends. Use your garden-grown flowers to decorate your home and give a fresh bouquet to brighten someone's day!
Call us at 203-661-5600 or visit us at www.mcardles.com to learn more about our workshops. Our garden experts are available 6 days a week to answer all of your questions and to help you plan your perfect garden!